HIV and methylprednisolone use

Is it safe? I have been HIV+ for 21 years and take good care of myself. My CD counts have been in the 500's for a very long time and my VL undetectable until the last visit when it showed a 30. I had back surgery 9 months ago and now am experiencing a "lumbar flareup" with excruciating pain. My surgeon has prescribed celebrex, hydrocodon 5/500 and methylprednisolone 4mg. (6 day regimine) I am on Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir, citalopram and just started Pravastatin this week. My ID Dr. does not like the idea of steroids and has advised against its use. I work full time (and overtime) and would like your opinion on this short regimine of the steroid use. I need to get back to work. If this is not safe is there an alternative to methylprednisolone? Thanks for your opinion.

Hello and thanks for posting.

The short-term use of corticosteroids (if indicated by medical need) is very acceptable. (For example, it's actually recommended for people with severe PCP and AIDS).

I wouldn't recommend their use without a true need, but seems like "excruciating pain" from known lumbar disease more than meets this criteria.

Hope that helps and wish you well, BY

Should I start PEP treatment?
Increasing cd4 count with suppressed viral load