Should I start PEP treatment?

I had insertive sex with a man on January 5th unprotected. The duration was less than 3 minutes before I stopped. He told me on Friday the 18th that he just got test results back showing he was positive for hiv. I called my doctor on Friday and he just called me back today and informed me I should go get tested and start on a PEP treatment. However everything I read says it shouldn't be done after 72 hours of exposure and I'm closing in on week three now. His nurse said he has all the information and that was his recommendation. I did a rapid HIV test on Friday (kind of pointless, but I'm negative). Should I follow his advice or make plans for another rapid test at my 4th week of exposure? I just would hate to make the wrong decision and regret it. Thank you for your advice.

You're right. PEP shouldn't be started more than 72 hours after the possible HIV exposure, since early studies failed to show any benefit.

Either way, you should be HIV tested after 3 months; and also have comprehensive STD testing if you think that there was any risk.

BY

Miraviroc
HIV and methylprednisolone use