For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

premature aging

Hi doctor, I would like to know your opinium about premature aging in people living with HIV. Is this less with the newer drugs? In the future we will control this problem ? T

After reading a bunch of papers and attending several aging conferences, I think that most of the data that has been presented about aging with HIV includes those of us who were exposed to older nucleosides (D4T, DDI, AZT, hydroxyurea) that depleted mitochondria DNA and numbers. Mitochondria are the energy factories of our cells and they rule many metabolic processes. Mitochondrial dysfunction is one of the main features involved in aging. So far, the data on mitochondrial dysfunction with newer drugs is good, so I am hoping that newer drugs will not create the same issues. Only time will tell, but I remain optimistic.

Options of anther medication