HIV-1 and HIV-2 life expectancy

My question is what is the life expectancy of people with HIV-1 vs Hiv-2. I know that HIV-2 though a slower moving virus, does not work as well with medication? Have there been any studies done to show the life expectancy of both types?

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are two species of HIV, HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-1 is by far the most commonly found and responsible for the vast majority of cases and illness. HIV-2 is generally thought to result in slower disease progression, longer disease-free survival and lower viral loads. The majority of cases of HIV-2 are found in West Africa, it's rarely found outside of this region.

A very nice state of the art review of HIV-2 was written by the US DHHS.. There are some differences in the treatment of the two viruses, as some HIV-1 medications are less effective against HIV-2.

There's little data on the comparative life expectancy between the two viruses, but several recent studies show that if viral suppression is achieved with antiretroviral medications, that life expectancy for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 are similar to uninfected persons.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Ginger2
question