Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Complera and Valtrex
Jan 11, 2013

My Doctor prescribed Complera for me to start treating my HIV. He also gave 1mg of Valacyclovir for the first 30 days to prevent shingles. Should I be concerned about increased side effects and kidney health? Does this combo really reduce the risk of shingles?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

First off, it's important to recognize that treating HIV is generally a good thing for kidney health- since HIV itself can lead to kidney injury. It's also relevant to know that certain HIV medications and medications used to treat associated conditions can cause kidney injury, it's recommended by many medical organizations that kidney health be monitored as a matter of routine health care. The most recent management guidelines were issued late last year by the New York State Department of HIV Health Institute.

In this, you'll note that people who are taking a tenofovir-containing regimen, like Complera should have their kidney function assessed periodically (every 4 moths) and regularly.

Complera itself doesn't treat shingles, but improving the immune function can help decrease the frequency of outbreaks. Valtrex is used to prevent shingles and other herpes infections.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Previous
One of my relatives is HIV+, his CD4 count is ranging from 275-325
Next
New once-a-year vaccine discovered in Spain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.