RPR/VDRL-reactive; TPHA-positive 1:640 dilution

my husband is a seaman. that's the result of his serology this month. he was diagnosed w/ syphilis in 2007, was injected penicillin and then became nonreactive. Why is it that every time he has to have his medical exam, he gets the above result? As his wife, I am worried. Am I safe?

There's really only two reasons why someone would have a RPR titer as high as 1:640- either it's a recent infection, or a very serious recurrence of a previous (or under treated) infection.

I can't speak to the specifics as to why your husband's is high, but either way, he needs to further evaluation and treatment- and until this happens, you are at possible risk of infection. Indeed, either way, you should be evaluated for possible exposure to syphilis too.

I hope that helps, BY

travelling to Spain
Thanks so much