travelling to Spain

Hi Dr Young my son is travelling to Spain in a week to see his father (his father does not know about his hiv status)he will be there for 10 days or so Iget a little nervous when he travels, he went last year to Argentina to visit his father that was living there at that time and everything went well,he is on Atripla for 15 months now and is UD with a cd4 of 640 and at 40%there is a 6 hours time difernce but read your post about that to continue to take the Atripla at bedtime of the new country time, my other concern, because lets be realistic it could happen that you loose your meds in your back pack for whatever reason you could even get robbed, if you take a prescription from your doctor here, will a pharmacy in a foreigh country in this case Spain will honor that prescription? of course he will need to pay for it but I want him to be prepare for emergencies that could happen. as always thanks so much for all yur help to this community. "Worried Mom P.S. Besides his back pack where will be safe to carry some extra meds?

Hello Mom and thanks for posting.

Not to worry- many people travel while taking their HIV medications. Your son simply needs to take his Atripla at bedtime in whatever time zone he's in. This makes the pill taking (and travel) easier, rather than trying make subtle adjustments. Indeed, a single 6 hour shift in the dose should have no effect on the medications.

As for the potential for robbery, I wouldn't recommend that he routinely carries all of his medications with him (other than for the travel days). Atripla (or the medications in Atripla) are widely available in the European Union, though I can't speak to the mechanism of him getting replacement pills should that be needed.

I hope that helps, BY

One of my relatives is HIV+, his CD4 count is ranging from 275-325
RPR/VDRL-reactive; TPHA-positive 1:640 dilution