CD4 count too low

My 9 year old nephew's CD4 count is 4 with a high viral load. Is it possible for someone with such a low CD4 count to recover to normal levels of HIV positive people? What steps should I take to assist him get his CD4 count to atleast 200? He's on ARVs and TB treatment that is resistant to treatment.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your nephew. He does indeed have a very low CD4 count; I'm sorry to hear that he also has tuberculosis- it could be that the TB is contributing to his low CD4s.

Either way, with appropriate treatment of his TB and ongoing treatment of HIV with ARVs (assuming that he's able to take the medications and that they are adequately potent), I'd be optimistic of his future. We've certainly provided care for people who were once very ill and with very low CD4s who today are healthy.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to write me back anytime. BY

SKIPPING PART OF THE TREATMENT
transmission to baby