SKIPPING PART OF THE TREATMENT

Hi Dr Young, Im 43& have been taking Truvadem, Reyataz&Novir daily for the past 9 months.I was visiting my mom some 700 kilometers away during December holidays when I realised I had forgotten to take the Novir from my fridge.It was not possible to get treatment in the rural areas esp over the festive time.After 5 days of taking only 2 of the required 3 meds combination, I decided to cut my holiday short in order to get my meds.What are the possible effects of this?Are there any chances of resistance of meds? Iam now back on full treatment.Please advise. Thanks. Swaky.

Hello and thanks for posting.

As you've surmised, it's not ideal to only take 2 of your 3 medications (actually you were taking 3 of your 4, since Truvada is a coformulated pill).

If your viral load was undetectable prior to the suboptimal dosing, there's probably little risk to you or towards the development of drug resistance.

Also, understand that Norvir is stable at room temperature for a month- so that you don't need to store the pills in the refrigerator unless you have more than one month's supply. Maybe this will help in the future.

Be well, BY

Efavirenz lamivudine and tenofovir
CD4 count too low