Strictness in the same time of day taking complera.

Hi Dr. Young, I am about to start complera in three days (switching from atripla) and it worries me that my doctor told me I have to take complera at the exact same time every day with food. It worries me because I know that it will be very difficult to have a full stomach at the same time everyday when I am always on the go. how strict is that rule? What will I do when I am in Europe and the exact time would be at 4 in the morning?

Hi and thanks for posting.

It's less important that you take the medications at the same time as it is to take your Complera with food. Indeed, for all regimens, there's a give or take 4 hour window (that means plus or minus 4 hours- 8 hours in general) in which you can take meds without any real problems.

In going to Europe and with the inherent time change, all I'd suggest doing is taking the meds at the same time that you would have at home. You'll be early on the outbound travel day and late on the return, but that should have little impact on the effectiveness of your medications.

I hope that helps and bon voyage. BY

Should i start theropy now?
NyQuil with complera?