Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acyclovir
Jan 6, 2013

In the early days, when there was just mono therapy for HIV, many people added in Acyclovir even if they did not have herpes. It was believed to be anti-viral and perhaps there was some synergy with HIV meds and there was some benefit. I have been on 400mg of acyclovir twice a day for 20 years. Is there any study data to support being on this drug? Have people who have remained on it done better? Could I be on 200mg and receive benefit? Thanks, OLd School

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

While there's no harm to being on acyclovir, the medication has no measurable antiviral activity against HIV. So, there's not going to be any benefit, other than decreasing the severity or frequency of herpes outbreaks.

BY

Previous
RPR titer
Next
Should i start theropy now?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.