mutation

I am on and truvada. why do I get truvada when I have M184 mutation? why cant they give me something else instead of emtriva since emtriva is compormised. or just plain viread and prezista. I am on prezista, norvir and truvada?. Thank you

Hello and thanks for posting.

You're correct that the M184V mutation confers resistance to emtricitabine (FTC, Emtriva) and lamivudine (3TC, Epivir).

What's distinctly different about this drug resistance mutation and how we clinically handle it is that the same resistance mutation actually confers enhanced sensitivity to certain medications, including tenofovir and AZT.

So, the regimen that you're taking with tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) is frequently used, especially with a boosted PI (Prezista) regimen, to enhance the potency of the tenofovir part. [BTW, one can't just take Prezista without Norvir, as Norvir boosting is required for Prezista].

Hope that helps, BY

Re:How long we can alive in second line treatment
ARV PILLS