Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re:How long we can alive in second line treatment
Jan 3, 2013

hello, i am a regular reader of this forum and found this question puzzling. first of all, Dr Young is absolutely right that second line can work for many many years, probably for 2 decades in some cases based on more than 95% adherence and avoidance of antacids(i hope i am not overestimating Dr BY!) then patient will go for next regimens based on isentress / maraviroc(based on tropism) or secong gen PI like darunavir. also there is good news about ibalizumab and many others (eg: some therapeutic vaccines) in the panel. so, dear friend, u still have to enjoy life for long long decades. but one thing i cant understand, why ur first regimen failed in just 3 years and 3 months? generally it should work for decades as well if adherence is >95%. Make sure that the reasons for ur switch is strong enough and discuss the case with expert like Dr BY and also please let us know as well. Dr BY, please tell me if i am wrong. anyway, a wonderful new year i wish for u all. voracious reader.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi Voracious Reader and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

To your question- sometimes people have regimen "failure" not because of drug resistance (or poor adherence), but because of side effects or toxicity. It's not clear from our previous poster as to the basis of the failure. In the case of drug resistance, we'll occasionally see this creep up in patients who didn't have the recommended baseline drug resistance testing and may have been placed unknowingly on an inadequately potent regimen.

But, if the regimen is thoughtfully selected, monitored and adhered to, drug resistance and virological failure is indeed very rare.

Hope that helps. Happy and healthy new year to you, BY

Previous
painful heel!
Next
mutation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.