from hiv to aids in 2 months

I received an aids diagnosis 2months after I tested positive. I know that I have been postive for less than 18months. I don't understand how it progressed so quickly. I thought you could live with HIV for 10-15yrs before u get an aids diagnosis?

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's entirely possible that you progressed from initial infection to AIDS in less than 2 years- while this isn't average, it's by no means rare. Having a high baseline HIV viral load is one of the predictors of rapid progression.

The good news is that either way, rapid or slow, that current HIV medications can restore (or preserve) your immune health.

Make sure that you spend the time to learn about your health and treatment options and to develop a trusting relationship with a care provider.

Here's to a healthy new year, BY

Combinations of drugs
Should I start medication or PEP?