breastfeeding

hi dr, i am currently on the generic equivalent of atripla and pragnant,my dr said it wont harm my baby and im interested in breasfeeding till the recoomended months do i stand a chance

Hello and thanks for posting.

Much of this answer depends on where you live.

Here in the US, efavirenz (part of Atripla) isn't recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy because of potential risks to the baby. Breastfeeding isn't recommended as well, as there are possible risks of transmission of HIV to the baby.

Having said that, in other parts of the world, the World Health Organization's 2010 Guidelines on HIV and Infant Feeding recommend an approach that recognizes that HIV medications reduce transmission risk and each country or region needs to balance the risk of viral transmission with the risks of other causes of infant illness. Their recommendations include: (1) breastfeed and receive ARV interventions, or, (2) avoid all breastfeeding, as the strategy that will most likely give infants the greatest chance of HIV-free survival.

My best advice is to ask your doctors about what is recommended in your area.

I wish you a happy New Year and healthy new family, BY

Neuropathy symptoms
Combinations of drugs