Neuropathy symptoms

Hello, I have had a very light numbness in my arms and back of hand for over a year now, and have informed my doc. However, in the last 4/5 days it has really taken off to be something that is disrupting the use of my hands. I used to only notice it at night, when I had no stimulation or distractions from it. Now it seems to have suddenly become over powering (mostly in the back of my hands) even when I am awake with stimulation and things to do. No DX of diabetes. Been taking viread, zidovudine, and kaletra for the last 2 years. As mentioned, I told my HIV doc when this symptom was minimal. She told me it was not med related, and left it at that. Where should I go with this problem? My last experience with a PCP doc, they just kept telling me to go to my Infect.Disease specialist.

Hi and thanks for posting.

It sounds like the numbness in the hands is worsening (based on the comment that the symptoms at first were "minimal".

If your symptoms are now causing functional problems with your hands you should notify your doctor(s).

There are a variety of possible causes of this, including HIV or medication neuropathy (which starts at the fingers bilaterally and progresses upward) but should be minimal with controlled virus and with your current medications, other neuropathies such as cervical disc disease or diabetes or certain vitamin deficiencies.

If neither of your doctors feel that they're expert in your situation, a consultation with a neurologist might be valuable.

Be well, BY

Treatment switch
breastfeeding