Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment switch
Dec 28, 2012

Dear Doctors,thanks again for your great efforts in guiding us!I am 63 y and HIV treated since 1986 with various combos without any bigger problems.My V.L. Is undetectable and 600 T4.My combo since 3 years is Tenofovir/Intelence/Isentress/Kivexa and I have requested a "lighter" treatment e.g. Comblera plus one more. My Doctor propose instead to skip Kivexa and Intelence to " lighten" my treatment. What do you think?Will the treatment be strong enough w/o Kivexa/Intelence or should I insist for Comblrra?Your opinion would be highly appreciated . Wish you all a happy New Year 2013 and thanks for what you have up till now.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

It seems like this somewhat complicated regimen has worked very well for you for a long while, so I'd hate to jeopardize this success without a very careful consideration of the options.

It's difficult for me to provide a detailed answer, since much depends on the pattern of drug resistance that your virus harbors. The regimen that your taking suggests to me that you have a very drug resistant strain. It's also important to recognize all of the potential resistant strains, not just the one on the last drug resistant test.

Understanding your reasons and goals for a "lighter" regimen might help- is it the pill number or dosing frequency that is problematic? Do you have other medical issues that interfere with your current medications (like kidney problems)?

What is key is to find a regimen that has at least three fully active HIV medications, if possible. You're currently taking 5 medications, so if the virus doesn't have resistance to tenofovir, FTC or raltegravir (Isentress), then the regimen that your doctor has proposed would be reasonable.

I hope that helps, BY

Previous
switch med
Next
Neuropathy symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.