cd4 348 and VL 51

Hi Doc, I was diagnose in 08 and ive been undetectable since. But my last results show a viral load of 51 and my cd4 348 which go up and down all the time. All my other labs are fine. Iknow i need to talk to my Doctor but what do you think. Have you ever seen or heard anything close to what im talking about.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, we do see patients like you from time to time. Your very low viral load suggests that you might be one of the lucky long-term non-progressors- people whose immune systems do a pretty good job in controlling HIV without medications. Some of these individuals do well for a very long time without meds, others show slow declines in their CD4 cells and do respond to antiretroviral medications.

What concerns me is your CD4 count- at 350, it's at the lower limit of the normal range. What is your CD4 percentage? It should be about 35 or higher. If your CD4 absolute count or percentage are below these values, I would consider HIV medications, as your immune system health would appear to be impaired.

What's also relevant is looking at the trends in your lab values over time- do your CD4 count or percentage drift downward over time or do the changes seem more random?

A careful look at your other health values and preventative medicine issues (like heart, kidney, bone health and cancer screenings) would be valuable at this time.

I hope that's helpful. BY

Placebo and HIV meds
shortness of breath