The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 348 and VL 51

Dec 28, 2012

Hi Doc, I was diagnose in 08 and ive been undetectable since. But my last results show a viral load of 51 and my cd4 348 which go up and down all the time. All my other labs are fine. Iknow i need to talk to my Doctor but what do you think. Have you ever seen or heard anything close to what im talking about.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Yes, we do see patients like you from time to time. Your very low viral load suggests that you might be one of the lucky long-term non-progressors- people whose immune systems do a pretty good job in controlling HIV without medications. Some of these individuals do well for a very long time without meds, others show slow declines in their CD4 cells and do respond to antiretroviral medications.

What concerns me is your CD4 count- at 350, it's at the lower limit of the normal range. What is your CD4 percentage? It should be about 35 or higher. If your CD4 absolute count or percentage are below these values, I would consider HIV medications, as your immune system health would appear to be impaired.

What's also relevant is looking at the trends in your lab values over time- do your CD4 count or percentage drift downward over time or do the changes seem more random?

A careful look at your other health values and preventative medicine issues (like heart, kidney, bone health and cancer screenings) would be valuable at this time.

I hope that's helpful. BY

Placebo and HIV meds
shortness of breath

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint