Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Albuterol and Efavirenz Drug Interaction
Dec 26, 2012

Good day Doctor! You may call me Jeff and I would like to ask a question regarding some possible drug interactions with albuterol and efavirenz. I'm asthmatic and I'm so concerned taking drugs that might interact with efavirenz. I previously asked my doctor about the possible interactions between albuterol and efavirenz but she herself was quite unsure. I searched on the internet myself regarding this but failed to get some sensible answers until I saw this website, so I thought, why not ask a question. You see, I am quite familiar with albuterol being metabolized by P450 in the liver and have a feeling that it interacts with efavavirenz but not sure though if taking both will have an increased or decreased levels of both drugs in my system. My other doctor doesn't know that I have HIV so she prescribed ipatropium bromide instead. And like albuterol, I'm also not sure what effects will it have when co-administered with efavirenz. I would be glad to receive an answer from you Doctor. God bless!

Response from Dr. Young

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to TheBody.com and thanks for posting.

It is important to check for the potential for interactions between HIV medications and other medications (or supplements). I use a variety of online resources to look for possible problems. One good and free resource is epocrates.com

Fortunately, regarding your specific question, there aren't any significant drug-drug interactions between albuterol and efavirenz.

I hope that's helpful and wish you a happy and healthy new year. BY

Previous
Can I expose myself
Next
side effects of medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.