Albuterol and Efavirenz Drug Interaction

Good day Doctor! You may call me Jeff and I would like to ask a question regarding some possible drug interactions with albuterol and efavirenz. I'm asthmatic and I'm so concerned taking drugs that might interact with efavirenz. I previously asked my doctor about the possible interactions between albuterol and efavirenz but she herself was quite unsure. I searched on the internet myself regarding this but failed to get some sensible answers until I saw this website, so I thought, why not ask a question. You see, I am quite familiar with albuterol being metabolized by P450 in the liver and have a feeling that it interacts with efavavirenz but not sure though if taking both will have an increased or decreased levels of both drugs in my system. My other doctor doesn't know that I have HIV so she prescribed ipatropium bromide instead. And like albuterol, I'm also not sure what effects will it have when co-administered with efavirenz. I would be glad to receive an answer from you Doctor. God bless!

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to TheBody.com and thanks for posting.

It is important to check for the potential for interactions between HIV medications and other medications (or supplements). I use a variety of online resources to look for possible problems. One good and free resource is epocrates.com

Fortunately, regarding your specific question, there aren't any significant drug-drug interactions between albuterol and efavirenz.

I hope that's helpful and wish you a happy and healthy new year. BY

Can I expose myself
side effects of medication