Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do you recommend the Shingles Vaccine?
Dec 20, 2012

I am a 60 white male who has been positive since 1998. I am currently taking Atripla with decent results. My viral load is undetectable but I have never had a high t-cell count. My last labs showed 288 at 15%. My Dr. is OK with me getting the Zostavax vaccine if I want it. I would like a second opinion from you. Thank you for your great service to the community, this site has been a tremendous resource for me during the last 14 years.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Zoster can occur in anyone who has previously had checken pox (Varicella). Of course people with HIV may be at higher risk for occurance (and it may happen more than once). First thing would be to be sure you have had chicken pox. Most people who have grown up in the US have had chicken pox even if they do not recall a rash. People from warmer climates, for example the Caribbean, may never have had it. A blood test can be done if you are unsure.

The Zoster vaccine contains a live (but weakened) virus, so it may theoretically lead to side effects if the viral levels are not controlled adequately by the immune system. The Zoster vaccine contains a high level of virus, 14 times more than the chicken pox (Varicella) vaccine. So the risk may be higher.

There has been one study with preliminary (early) data reported so far on using zoster vaccine in people with HIV. All people vaccinated had CD4 counts over 200 and the vaccine was generally safe (there were some injection site reactions) and effective in stimulating antibodies to go up. There is currently no recommendation to use the vaccine in people with HIV, but these data are very encouraging. Hopefully further supporting data will be coming out in the near future. The main risk would be that a disseminated infection may occur. If a person with HIV develops a rash or signs of widespread infection after reciving zoster vaccine, they should be promptly seen by their doctor and may need to be treated with medication for zoster.

Best, Joe

Previous
ALT 5 times normal on Prezista
Next
Could i be hiv positive?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.