Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

window period
Dec 19, 2012

Dear Dr.

I am currently on Tenofovir, cipla lamivudine and efavirenz. I normally drink these at night. I want to know if i missed the time how long do i have as a window period before the virus start becoming resistance. For instance if i missed them with 12 hours of less or a one day will this cause resistence?

How long do i have before the medication is no longer in my system?

Looking forward to your resonse

Regards

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about. Treatment failure is very uncommon if you're taking your medications at or about 95% the doses. A single missed dose (or especially one late dose) isn't a problem.

With the medications you're taking, the meds stay in your system for quite a while, longer for the efavirenz (many days) than the tenofovir or lamivudine (about 1-2 days).

I hope that helps and wish you a happy and healthy new year. BY

Previous
Aspirin as disease preventative
Next
Midas Study

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.