Aspirin as disease preventative

Hi-what do you think about taking a low dose of aspirin each day as a general disease preventative for someone who is HIV+, on Atripla since 2008, in generally good health, but who has had Syphilis, HepB, anal warts, and who (I've read) would be at increased risk of anal cancers due to these past risk factors. I recently read an article in the NY Times that said that taking a low dose of aspirin each day can reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease significantly for people over 45. Would an HIV+ person not be a good candidate for this aspirin preventative due to being HIV+ or ART interactions? Thanks.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

Aspirin has some very interesting properties and has been in and out of favor often.

One recent study showed that it may have some beneficial effect in reducing Immune Activation in people with HIV, which is the major cause of CD4 cell loss in HIV infection.

I cannot make a blanket recommendation that low dose aspirin is best for all people. It can cause problems with platlet function, bleeding, stomach problems, etc. But it is a very good idea to bring that NY Times article to your medical providers office and ask if it is right for you.

Thanks, Joe

Citalopram and Nevirapine
window period