Trying Complera after rash due to Atripla

Almost 2 years ago, I started taking ATRIPLA (my CD4 were 360 at that point). On day 9, I had a skin rash, and my doctor told me to stop it. All this time, I had CD4 in the range of 500. Now, around 400, so I am about to start treatment on Complera. I know that only Sustiva is replaced in this regimen.

I am afraid of possibly getting the same allergy again. From your experience, is the Sustiva more connected to skin rashes or Tenofovir?

Thank you in advance

Response from Dr. McGowan

HI,

The Sustiva (efavirenz) part of Atripla is much more likely associated with rashes than tenofovir or emtricitabine (the other 2 components of both Atripla and Complera).

Rilpivirine (which is the only new medicine in Complera that is not in Atripla)can cause a rash as well, but it is much less common than efavirenz. The two drugs belong to the same family - Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. There are no studies yet on whether a person allergic to efavirenz would also be allergic to rilpivirine.

Best, Joe

HIV UTI treatment
switch from atripla to stribild