Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused status
Dec 17, 2012

Dear dr. I am confuse about my results as below Cd4 - 1090 Cd4% 27.9 This I where I am confused PVL 100 but on the bottom it says ( The Amplicor HIV-1 Monitor Test 1.5 assay has a lower detection limit of 400 copies/ml) does this mean that my viral load is undetectable. And I am even more confused wen it says my HIV report is negative. I am actually confused about my PVL report. What does that 100 mean when lowest detection point is 400. Am I infected. Or does that 100 is undetectable.

Response from Dr. McGowan

These results do NOT indicate HIV infection.

A negative HIV screening test, with a normal CD4 count and a viral load below the detectable limit are all consistent with no HIV infection.

If a person were in the early phase of acute HIV infection, the results would indicate a negative HIV test with a very, very high viral load. The viral load at "seroconversion" is extremely high.

The viral load test is generally not recommended for routine HIV screening because it can give inaccurate results at a low level. When the lab interprets the results of a test it looks at the reactivity of the blood sample. This is usually measured by some signal (such as the test giving off tiny bits of light) that is picked up by a machine. A high level of light being released is clearly positive. Sometimes there is non-specific "noise" (small bits of light coming from the test tube which are not high enough to be measured as a positive result) on the test. The report can give a low number, such as 100, even though the test is only set up to measure above 400. So it is a negative test, but they wanted to let the doctor know that there may be some interference from substances in your blood. This does not mean that HIV is in the blood. The test is not valid to interpret such low numbers. Since we are not expecting such a low level of virus during an acute (very early) infection with HIV, as I mentioned above, this result is not consistent with having HIV infection.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Previous
hiv testing
Next
When to start ARV therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.