Dec 17, 2012
can i trnsmit hiv by kissing someone when my mouth is bleeding? does an hiv infected person having a high virus even a carrierfor 4 years?
| Response from Dr. McGowan
Yes, HIV can be transmitted by kissing if there is blood in the mouth. This could happen if there is a cut, or bleeding gums from gingivitis, or a "cold sore". The risk is dependant, not on how long a person has had HIV, but on how much virus they have in the blood (called the "viral load"). The more virus (higher viral load) the more likely transmission would occur. The risk is much lower if the viral load is undetectabel on medication.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Black Spots After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Protected Anal Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.