Stopping Medication for Toxoplasmosis

I was diagnosed with toxaplasmosis 5 years ago. My treatment medication regimen has involved daily doses or Dapaprim, Sulfadiazine and Leucovorin Calcium. My doctor thinks it's safe to stop the medications. Does anyone have experience with this?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi and thanks for your question,

Current treatment guidelines prepared by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) idicate that it is generally safe to stop treatment for toxoplasmosis once your CD4 count has increased to above 200 for 6 months or more. So, if you have had a successful treatment of your toxo and have an undetectable HIV level with CD4 over 200 you can stop the toxo treatment.

Best, Joe

Trauma
atripla failure