Swollen glands

Hello

I have developed swollen glands under my ears behind my jaws they ar sometimes painful is de any anti biotic to trat them am afraid to take AR

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear AR,

Swollen glands could be due to many causes. If they are multiple, on both sides of the body and in different locations, it is less likely to be a typical bacterial infection that would respond to the usualy antibiotics. HIV infection by itself is a common cause of swollen glands, so it may just be from your infection and may decrease if you get your HIV suppressed on treatment. Other possibilities, depending on your CD4 count, could be other viral infections (such as EBV or CMV), bacteria (such as tuberculosis or MAI), fungal infections (depending on where you live, such as Histoplasmosis in the midwest/Ohio Valley), or lymphoma (which is a type of tumor arising from the white blood cells). You should point these glands out to your doctor so that he/she can do the appropriate tests to figure out the cause.

Best, Joe

HIV Dr. in NYC with a lab on premesis
HIV and stillbrith