The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Dr. in NYC with a lab on premesis

Dec 7, 2012

Hi Doc's, I moved to NYC a few months ago and found a good HIV specialist. However, when I have to have blood work done (which is fairly often) or other diagnostic tests, I have to go to an outside lab or imaging center instead of having my labs at least drawn at the dr. office. Which is another co-pay, cab fare and arranging to be away from my job again. The last straw was today when I had a separate lab appt. timed purposely so I could get back to a meeting at the office. Someone, by mistake, had scratched my name thru the waiting list as having been seen. When I questioned them,and I was firm but nice, they were very rude and continuted to have me wait while others after me were called back! As I said, I am satisfied with my dr. but having to do all this extra running around the city and paying extra is causing me to consider changing doctors. Could anyone on your team make a recommendation. I have excellent health insurance so would prefer a private practice with an onsite lab as opposed to an HIV out patient clinic. I have looked online but don't know how to go about narrowing down the choices for private practice care and don't say if there is an onsite lab. Calling all of them would be quite a task! Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help your team provides to us.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. Of course the major Specialized Centers can do phlebotomy on site and many also have private practice suites...such as Mount Sinai Downtown (212-604-1701), or Beth Israel (Phillips Ambulatory Care Center, 10 Union Square East, New York- Dr Salomon 212-420-4006, Dr Revuelta 212-420-4005). Other private practice MDs may have on site phlebotomy, but it would be best to call ahead to be sure. A good site to look would be through the American Academy of HIV Medicine site: They have a "Referral Link" on their website that can find a certified expert provider and contact info for the practice.

Best, Joe

Swollen glands

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint