K-PAX Immune Support Formula

First, let me say how great this site is. I have submitted questions and have received honest answers that I can trust. Thanks for that !

Now for my question. I am a 60 yr old man, diagnosed in oct '08. Doing well. been on Atripla from the start. Undetectable, CD4 count about 379 at last reading. My partner (also poz) and I go to different doctors. His is reccommending starting K-PAX Immune Support Formula Professional Strength. Mine is not so sure.

So here is the question for which I can't seem to get a definitive answer. One, is there any truth to the hype surrounding these vitamins and just as important are they SAFE ?

I really would like to set the record straight for both of us.

Thanks !

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'll admit my bias- I think that most supplements are over-hyped and most often unnecessary, and the best "supplement" is a balanced diet rich in vegetables and fiber. For most of my patients, the most that I'll recommend is a multivitamin with vitamin D.

K-PAX is one of the products that has been tested in positives and shown to be generally safe and have some benefits for peripheral neuropathy and perhaps in increasing CD4s (though in my opinion, those increases are typically quite small and probably of minimal clinical benefit). Here's our friend, Dr. Pierone's review.

Personally, if it were me and I was otherwise doing well on antiretroviral medications, I'd focus on the diet, take a simple multivitamin and save the additional dollars for an annual trip to Kauai.

Hope that helps. BY

Trizivir Resistance
Night sweats with controlled hiv, necessary to make an appointment to my hiv doctor?