medication

I acquired HIV from a blood transfusion in 1984, was diagnosed in 1991 and have been on meds since that time...my viral load has always been undetectable and CD4 count has always been over 650. So getting to my question, I am now on Medicare with a Part D Drug coverage, but the meds still cost me 500.00 a month which I really cannot afford, I am currently on Kaleta 200-50 2 pills bid, Lamividine 150 mg 1 QD,abacavir 300mg 1 pill bid...would like to take something other than the Kaletra....since it is not a generic medication and is very expensive....the other two are generics and reasonably priced....what could I take other than Kaletra or do I even need the PI? Thank you so much for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Hi and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that you're having such difficulty paying for your medications. It is good that you've found the generically available abacavir and lamivudine (other wise sold as Epzicom/Kivexa).

I'd be reluctant to suggest switching off of Kaletra without knowing if you have evidence of drug resistance (as might be the case if you started on ART in 1991 - with mono- or dual-drug treatment). It's possible that other PI manufacturers' assistance programs might be more generous; but before switching, you'd need to speak to your health care provider about the suitability of such switches.

There is a Co-payment Assistance Program for Kaletra that might be of help, but this would depend on the specifics of your insurance plan.

I'd suggest speaking to a case manager or pharmacist about your options.

Good luck, BY

interaction between crack cocaine and kaletra, trizivir
doubt hiv exposures