Safety of Once daily non XR Viramune

Hello doctor, I'm currently on Twice daily Viramune+ Truvada for 1 month, previously I was on Atripla for 5 months. I'm currently UD CD4 520 26% MY liver function is: AST 22, ALT 21. My Question is; I read about once daily dosing for non-XR Nevirapine, I would like to ask about safety and efficacy of once daily dosing. Is it safe to switch?

Unfortunately, Nevirapine XR is still not available where I live.

Hello and thanks for posting.

While the generic version of nevirapine isn't formally approved for once-daily dosing, it is commonly prescribed this way. Additionally, switching to nevirapine from a successful regimen doesn't seem to bear the same risks for liver toxicity as when starting first-line therapy with high CD4 cell counts.

So, in sum, since you're already doing well on twice-daily nevirapine, it should be fine to take all of your medications (including the now 2 pills of nevirapine) once-daily.

Hope that helps, and let our readers know how this works for you. BY

Efavirenz danger?
interaction between crack cocaine and kaletra, trizivir