Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please explain why Hiv+ off meds and healthier than when on
Nov 23, 2012

I tested positive a couple years ago, because I had pnemonia, which I also had when I was 12. They put me on hiv meds and my health got worse. I have taken myself off meds for over a year now and I am as healthy as ever. Why are they lying about the harm of HIV? it is a retro virus that the immune system can control and keep in check if not knock out. I am living proof, I do not have a special ccr5 receptor, I am not an elite controller" I am just healthy and taking care of my body, eating well and working out. Why the lies?????????????? The meds cost lives, not a retro virus, the TOXIC meds, made my skin peel and caused tooth decay. TOXIC! Is all this money really worth it? You doctors are paid and controlled by this as well, or yu will not have any patients, funding, or grants! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Young

Hello,

I think that your anger is misplaced.

It's unfortunate that you developed side effects of your medications. This does happen (though is increasingly less common with well trained care providers and a better set of medications). The fact that you feel better off medications is consistent with this.

It's good that you feel well, though this isn't enough to be reassuring to me without knowledge of the state of your immune health (or lack thereof). Many people living with HIV/AIDS feel well until a serious infection or cancer occurs. Even if you decide not to take medications, it's a good idea to continue to monitor both your symptoms and laboratory measures of health and illness.

HIV causes AIDS and HIV medication can prevent disease progression and restore health. These aren't ideas that are bought by drug companies or grants, they are scientifically proven facts.

I do get paid for the work that I do, but FWIW, there's nothing I'd like more than to see an end of HIV/AIDS, and to put the work that I do to rest - and to know that the tens of millions of people infected with (and the million or so who become newly infected each year) will live normal, healthy lives.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. BY

Previous
pep after 72 hours
Next
Stopping early intervention Medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.