Drug Interaction

I am HIV positive and a senior citizen. I was diagnosed with a fully blown case of AIDS nearly 6 years ago. I take Atripla and am undetectable and my T cell count is 850. In September I wanted to lose weight and I took raspberry keytones and within 2 weeks i had a horrible rash on my upper chest which was possibly caused by a drug interaction. I also take Boniva and clonazapam. The lab report indicated that it was possibly phototoxic dermatitis. I am hoping that the keytones will not upset the nice balance I have achieved. I am OK now but will go for my labs later this month. Any views on this. I am also replete with allergies. Thank you for your time

From the sounds of it, your rash wasn't because of a drug interaction, but rather a reaction to the raspberry ketones. I've reviewed the published literature on this compound for weight loss and have to say that I'm not convinced- while there is theoretical benefit of extreme dosing in a mouse study, these conclusions were not reached in a similar study in rats, and no compelling data exists in humans.

You've reached a nice balance with your virus and medications. I'd recommend avoiding the use of untested and unproved supplements.

BY

Confused By This
Visconti Cohort Study