which drug is right for me??????

Ok, just recently found out im HIV poz. I've moved past the whole denial stage and have accepted what lays inMy store for me. I have went to my first visit with bld done. My Genotype the way i understand my options are pretty muh open to which drug well be the best for me. My T4 count is 425 not sure about my VL. So i guess what i'm asking is which would be the best for me?

Thanks ahead of time,

JAG

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear JAG,

I am glad you are coming to terms with your diagnosis and are ready to fight back. There are many options open to you, especially as your genotype shows no resistance.

There are several "preferred" combinations, based on expert opinion. Also we have 3 available one pill combination therapies (Atripla, Complera and Stribild). Some may be better choices than others.

The best choice for you depends on several issues, such as your overall health (do you have kidney problems, anemia, hepatitis B or C, or high cholesterol). If you have none of these then most options are on the table.

If you are a woman who may plan to become pregnant, then a combination that does not contain efavirenz (which is in Atripla and Sustiva) would be best.

Next would be some questions about your routine, eating habits, other meds you may take (including antacids, birth control pills and herbal therapies, etc). Some of these may interact with some of our meds.

If pill number is an issue for you than one of the 3 (Atripla, Complera or Stribild) may be best. As mentioned Atripla may not be best if you are planning to become pregnant, also it can cause some neurologic side effects (dizziness, bad dreams, etc). So, if you have erratic working hours a medicine like Atripla may not be best.

Complera may be a good choice, but not if your viral load is over 100,000 or if you take antacids. Stribild could be best (unless you have any kidney problems).

There are additional options (generally once daily) if any of these don't fit your preferences or based on your other health issues.

Have an open discussion with your medical provider to "custom fit" your combo with your lifestyle. Discuss any likley side effects and what to do if you experience any. We have many treatments and, if you work with your care team, there is one that will work for you. We can get very creative!

Best, Joe

FOLLO UP: Sinusitis Drug Interaction with Atripla??? Please advise
High white blood count and low CD4