FOLLO UP: Sinusitis Drug Interaction with Atripla??? Please advise

Dear Dr Joe,

I went back to my ENT dr today. He said that I'm much better but that my nasal passages whewre still inflammed but with no infection of my sinuses.

He said that I needed to take Fluticasone (nasal spray) for 25 days, Cefuroxime for 5 more days to prevent possible infection, and he also prescribed the following:

oxymetazoline (nasal drops) for 5 days Meloxicam for 5 days

I checked only and there appears to be serious interaction between meloxicam and atripla (casuing possible renal failure).

Is it ok to take all these with atripla in the recommended dosages?

Ill wait for your answer before starting on meloxicam and oxymetazoline.

Thanx a lot!

Regards,

Joe

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi Joe,

There are no significant interactions between your Atripla and the medicine for your sinuses. Meloxicam is an NSAID (non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug) that can cause probelms with your kidneys if taken at high doses over a long period of time, it can also cause stomach problems. Tenofovir (which is in Atripla) can also cause kidney problems rarely. If you have normal kidney function now, a few days of a NSAID (taken always with food) should be safe.

Happy Holidays! Joe (From one Joe to another!)

HISSING NOISE OR TINITUS IN EAR
which drug is right for me??????