Itraconazole with combivir and efavirenz

Went to the doctor for a fungal infection in my foot before I knew I was HIV positive, doctor prescribed itraconazole, 100mg pills twice a day for a week and stop for three weeks, then one week again taking the same dose and stop again for three weeks. Now it's time to start my third and last week with itraconazole. The infection in my foot has greatly reduced, I no longer have stains on the skins around my toe as I had before but my big toe nail is still white and fragile.

It happens that I started HAART treatment two weeks ago. I am taking 1 pill of combined zidovudine 300mg and lamivudine 150mg combined twice a day and 1 pill of efavirenz 600mg once a day. My HIV doctor also prescribed me an antibiotic as a protection measure because my CD4 count was very low, so I'm also taking sulfamethoxazole 800mg combined with trimethoprim 160mg, 1 pill every two days.

I read there is some interaction between these drugs, so, should I keep with my itraconazole treatment that I have already started two months ago? If not, what anti fungal should I take? Will my foot infection decrease if my CD4 increases without needing any other treatment?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hi and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your recent HIV diagnosis- indeed, fungal toe nail infections aren't that uncommon among positives and can indeed improve as the immune system recovers with HIV medications.

You should let your pharmacist(s) know about all of the medications that your various doctors may have prescribed for you. There are potential interactions between the efavirenz and itraconazole- ones that increase the efavirenz levels and decrease the itraconazole levels- as a result, this won't compromise the effectiveness of the HIV medications, only potentially increase the risk of side effects. If your foot infection has already improved, you could simply stop the itraconazole.

By the way, an interesting study presented recently suggests that the over-the-counter product Vick's Vaporub applied twice daily to fungal nail infections actually appears to work (though takes many weeks).

Hope that helps, BY

time it takes for Dr. to decide change cocktail
SGPT is 45