The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Nov 17, 2012

Are there better hospitals and/or cities to be radically treated for HIV ? For example what hospital treated the person who "had" a cd4 count of zero and has since then recovered?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

There is clear data that experience matters with regard to HIV medicine and larger cities tend to have more experienced care providers. You could contact your local AIDS service organization for their advice; ask about whether your doctor is certified (if you live in the US) by the American Academy of HIV Medicine.

As for radical treatment, I'm not sure what you mean, other than very strict observation of best medical- or evidence-based practices. (Here in the US, we tend to follow the DHHS or IAS-USA treatment guidelines.) Beyond that, look for a caring, non-judgmental care environment. There's also a growing appreciation for the challenges of aging successfully with HIV and how to integrate HIV care into the varied aspects of general medical and preventive care- ask about how your HIV doctor links your HIV care into general medical care.

If you once had a CD4 count of 0 and have now recovered, it would seem that you've had very good treatment already.

Hope that helps, BY

Change medication.
Re: HIV Treating Expert in SE Asia

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint