Fat Loss

Dear Dr., I am 48 years old male taking Combivir+Sustiva for two years now but recently lost lots of fat from my legs and arms, I know this is a side effect from the pills. But need to restore it back as I need to have girly legs like before, now I look horrible and less sexy. Can I take any female hormones to restore it back or what? Also note I live in Africa so i cannot change this medicine or do any expensive things. If yes for female hormone what is the type , dose and for how long. Now I started to take 50 mg pill of DHEA maybe it restores fat again despite I wished to thin all my life but not looking veiny skinny legs like now. Please advice soonest.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of fat and body changes that you are experiencing. I am not aware of any protective effect of female hormones on progression of fat loss related to antiretroviral treatment. The one proven strategy is to change AZT (in Combivir) to tenofovir (Viread).

You should discuss this possibility with your health care provider and see what they recommend.

Good luck!

Macrocytic Anemia
viral load spike