Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I on second line drugs? If so what are they?
Nov 2, 2012

Dear Sir I am on Synthivan (combination of Atazanavir-300mg+ Ritonavir-100mg) and Tenvir-EM (Tenofovir disoproxil fumerate-300mg + Emtricitabine IP-200mg). Both from Cipla ltd, India. I've been informed these as second line tablets. But somewhere I read them as first line drugs. Please tell me exactly what are they? As these drugs a costing arms and legs to me, can I take the free combination of drugs in different brand name available in government hospital. Does changing the brand results in adverse effects on patient? Can you suggest some other brand which can be taken in their place and is available for free in hospitals?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Many get confused as to what is a first- or second-line HIV regimen. One way to look at this is by defining the regimen by whether the virus is drug resistant or not. If the virus is completely drug sensitive, then regimens used to treat it are considered first line. In this way, many regimens used to treat virus are called first line. Here in the US, the regimen that you're taking is among several that are listed as preferred first line ones.

Some countries reserve boosted protease inhibitors (such as your ritonavir/ataznavir combo) for second line use- defined to be used in people who have had failure of a previous first-line regimen (usually those that used 2 NRTIs with a NNRTI). Boosted PI regimens are widely used in this context, or for people who have acquired virus with NNRTI or NRTI resistance.

Lesser expensive regimens are usually those that contain the NNRTIs efavirenz or nevirapine in place of the boosted PI. If you don't have previous treatment failure or evidence of drug resistance, it's possible to switch- side effects for these medications differ from the protease inhibitors (you can search this forum's side effect section for details). (Unfortunately, I can't tell you which medications are provided at less cost or free, but a simple question to your doctors or local AIDS service organization can probably yield the answer).

I hope that helps. BY

Previous
VIRAL LOAD undetectable and CD4 COUNTup and down
Next
hiv/aids remedy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.