Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need advise
Nov 1, 2012

Hello dr, I am a 30 year old my reports are as follows. First report. CD4 . 750 cd4% 27.65. Viral load 105 but states that lowest detection point of it is 400

Second test January : CD4. 1090. Cd4% 26.50.

Could you please state how is my condition is it that I am many years far from medicines. One general question is that can a person without HIV have cd4 % below normal too.

Response from Dr. McGowan

HI and thanks for your questions.

Right now your CD4 count is relatively high (although the CD4% is lowish) and the viral load is low off medication. That is a good combination, in that it may take several years for the CD4 counts to drop significantly. Most experts recommend ant-viral treatment regardless of the CD4 count, but if you were not ready for treatment you could wait till CD4 count reached 500. Again this may be a few years based on these values. It would be important to have the numbers checked every 4-6 months to be sure they remain stable. Sometimes the viral load can increase and cause the CD4 to drop more quickly. This can happen as the virus changes it's ability to infect CD4 cells (called a tropism shift- which happens to the vrus in over half of people with HIV over several years) or reinfection with another strain of HIV (which is why it is important to continue to practice safe sex).

People without HIV can have "abnormal" CD4 counts and CD4%. The "Normal" range is defined as an average across people. There are always people who are outside the normal range, on the high and low side. Without them life would be boring!

Best, Joe

Previous
CD4 and VL result
Next
A Better Statin?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.