Weightloss Management

Hi Doctor,I stumbled on your site through searches and i have been reading some of Qs&As and i am comforted, you are doing an excellent job. I live in England and my ex who is the father of my grown up children has HIV and now has AIDS. He communicates regularly with his children and at the moment he says he is very ill and weight has moved from 70kgs to 34kgs, this man is over 6foot tall so he is really unwell. I was thinking of supporting the children for they are hurting, so i suggested we send him medication but after reading on the internet i understand the medications have side effects and a physician has to prescribe for him. I am not sure whether i should just buy ATripla on internet or just send him money for food. I do not know what to do. He lives in Zimbabwe in the rural areas where there are no amenities at all. Am i alright to buy medication here in England and post it, are there supplements that you can recommend as well for i understand they are quite helpful....

Hello and sorry to hear about your ex.

Before sending him medications, there are a lot of medical issues that need to be sorted out.

First, it's important for him to try to establish care with a local HIV provider- even if he's in rural Africa, I'm pretty sure that there are providers nearby. It's important to see which of many issues (including tuberculosis or other infections) could be contributing to weight loss.

It seems from your note that he has not yet started on HIV medications, and finding out what the local resources are would be important, as mailing medications can be problematic-- perhaps our readers can provide comment as to their experiences on posting medications to Zimbabwe.

BY

HIV drug availability and mailing to Indonesia - further details *Reader comments welcomed*
missed doses of meds