Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

About a Cohort study
Oct 26, 2012

Dear Dr Young, Thanks for replying to my question a couple of days ago on the differential CNS penetrability of HAART components. Doctor, recently I am involved in a cohort study in India as a clinical researcher and trying to figure out causal relationship to prepare subcohorts and subsequent analysis at the genomic level (if we can relate a subcohort with any underlying SNP or any other genomic variation). I am also taking care of any kind of environmental factor associated with any known or unknown outcome. May be you have heard about a very recent finding in a city in India about environmental pollution, penetration of lesser solar energy in the city because of the pollution and subsequent sudden increase of rickets in the city children. Anyway, I want to thank you and your colleagues who are patiently replying to every queries in this forum. That is a great job and seeing you, I am also thinking to create such an open forum in the Indian HIV perspective. The disease is still considered as a huge stigma in Indian society although generic companies have made lives of our patients healthier, prolonged and more productive. Patients are ageing now, having a disease pattern much different from that in the nineties because of HAART. Doctor, all over the world, specially in a developed country like yours, cohort studies are going on with HIV patients on or not on medicines, complications because of the HAART components (like osteoporosis and renal toxicity of tenofovir etc),ageing and related psychiatric illnesses in the study cohort etc etc. Do you have any suggestion if I want to do a cohort study with HIV positive people which might greatly help in the advancement of HIV science? Some hypotheses that might be more appropriate for HIV in a developing nation like India? There is also a huge field of doing a prospective cohort study with people living with Hepatitis C in my country. The unique thing in such case is that, most of the patients are not receiving any standard therapy with pegylated interferon/ribavirin/boceprevei/telaprevir because of high cost. So, a natural course of the disease can effectively be explored studying this cohort prospectively. I am thinking and trying my best to come out with something new as a young epidemiologist. Your wise opinion regarding this topic would greatly help me to design an excellent null hypothesis on HIV/ Hepatitis C cohort study. Waiting eagerly to get response from you. Best regards, Dr Titas, MBBS (India), MS (Medical Genomics, England).

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Dr. Titas,

Great to hear from you and thank you for your kind words... I'd be very happy to provide some advice on your cohort studies- (I have quite a bit of experience with such observational studies through our work with the US Centers for Disease Control)- though this is probably a conversation best to have off line.

Send me a reply with your email address and we can converse.

BY

Previous
4 hours delay!
Next
RE : Rapidly Progresses to AIDS *Readers: please share your words of encouragement*

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.