The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Oct 25, 2012

Dear Doc, Thanks for all your support you give us out here!I am 60 and 25years under different treatments.The last(since 3 years)are Prezista/Tenofovir/Intelence/Norvir/Isentress/Kivexa wtih 450 CD4 and VL undetectable.I heard of EVIPLERA (one pill a day)do you think that this could be a option for me or may it not be "enough" to get me going with approx.the same results of my bloodwork?Wud very much appreciate your input as my Doc is pretty against new meds as the one I have is working.Thanking you so much for your interest.FYI the only side effest I have is neuropathy (feet) since 10 years back. Thanks again.My best regards Erik

Response from Dr. Young

Hi Erik and thanks for posting.

The regimen that you're currently taking suggests to me that you might have a drug resistant strain of HIV. If this is the case, simplification to the Eviplera regimen probably won't work well.

One way to check if your virus is sensitive to the medications in Eviplera (we call it Complera here in the US) is to find your HIV resistance test results and impute them into the Stanford University HIVDB program. This will tell you if the virus is sensitive to the three medications of interest (tenofovir, emtricitabine and rilpivirine).

I hope that helps, BY

efavirenz and other CNS penetrating drugs
can i drink beer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint