Very Early Increase

I was diognosed in December of 2011. I ad a CD4 count way down at 34 and a viral load of 1.1Million. I went on Atripla and my CD4 count shot up quickly to 170, but has stayed there for 6 months now. My CD4% went from 14 to 21 very quickly too, but seems to be stabalizing there. Second, I just got a bad shock when I saw that, this month, my viral load (which had gone down rapidly to 80) went up to 130. Is this a real concern. I have heard of "blips, but I never even reached undetectable before this jump happened.

Hi and thanks for posting.

Worry not. If your initial viral load was over 1,000,000, it takes a lot longer to reach the important undetectable threshold. The way that I'd look at your VL numbers is first to know that ~100/1,100,000= 0.00009 or a 99.991% reduction. This is an excellent response.

Indeed, if your viral load was a more typical 50,000, that same magnitude of reduction would yield a viral load of less than 5-- or undetectable.

I also wouldn't worry much about the difference between 130 and 80- these are essentially the same value and don't reflect any biologically significant change.

Lastly, your CD4 count increase is a good one, be patient with the CD4s, they can take time to recover.

Hope that helps. Be well, BY

Switched from Atripla to The Quad
KS and Atripla Dosage