am I late?

Dear Dr, my boyfriend is posative and I'm negative. We slept together a week ago using protection but this time around the Condom broke. Went to Dr next morning and I was given Combivir pills ( wrong spelling) I took 2 per day in an hour diffrence and I had only 10 and was told to see a Dr when they finish. As they finish I went to see a Dr and gave me prescription... I didn't have enough money to buy them right way so in 7days late after taking then for 5 days. I don't know if the will still work now that I have money to buy this 60 more. Am I late or can still go get the 60 more pills?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry for the late reply.

The risk of getting HIV in this situation would depend on a few things. If your boyfriend is HIV positive, is he on medication? and is his virus suppressed? If so that would decrease the risk of transmission to you by over 96% based on a recent study.

Also, starting the meds aas soon as possible is most important, which is what you did. So those first 5 days were very important. If there was a week between that and the next doses, it is probably best not to continue taking more. You should return to your doctor for follow-up testing at 4-6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months to ensure that your result will remain negative. If you develop a bad "flu" with fever, swollen glands, mouth sores or rash see your doctor right away.

Joe

Was Happy...but not anymore :(
Risk of HIV infection due to rubbing of penis on vagina...