Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Was Happy...but not anymore :(
Oct 24, 2012

Dr. McGowan,

Your information helped a lot. While I have your attention, I just have a few more questions. I don't mean to be a pest but I just need this for my sanity as I stated I have already spent one night in the hospital and don't want to spend another because this time they might just admit me. I understand that this test is testing the oral mucosal transudate (I think I spelled that right) anyway this is different from saliva. Does the test itself know the difference between the two for instance if someone got saliva on the test strip...would they still get a result? I have also read that your oral mucosal transudate actually comes from the blood vessels in your mouth, is this true? I was also reading on the FDA website that a person can receive a "false negative" with this test even after the window period (AHHHHH, if this is the case then WHY is this test approved for human use) Why would anyone get a false negative after the window period? Does it matter how you swab your gums because I notice that this test is administered so many different ways from what I have read on this forum as well as others. Is it possible for antibodies to be present in the blood and not the oral fluid or are the antibodies ALWAYS present in ALL body fluids? I am sorry that I keep asking so many questions, I just keeping having nightmares that I swabbed my gums wrong and when I go take a blood test that they are going to find something that this test missed. I am at literally at the end of my rope right now and want closure. I decided that I didn't want to even have sex anymore. I have always been a safe person when it comes to sex and out the sexual experiences I have had, the condom decided to break this one time and there was already ejaculation by the time that my partner and I were aware. I just keep praying to God that everything is okay so that I can move on a continue to live my happy SEX FREE life. I am sorry that I have taken up so much of your time and may God Bless you for taking the time out to answer the questions of every mental basket case out here. Thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi,

I am sorry that this has so stressed you out. No test is 100% sensitive. If this test is 99.3% sensitive it means that 0.7% of the time the test may miss diagnose a case. This is mostly due to early infections (before the antibodies are high enough to be positive), but sometimes it could be an error. If the test is repeated and is still negative that rate (which is already very tiny) becomes much, much lower. The oral secretions are derived from the blood serum. The body uses these secretions as a front line defense against infection, so the antibodies are rich in that fluid.

Best, Joe

Previous
Danger switching back and forth?
Next
am I late?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.