HIV and Conceiving

hi Doc

I am a mother of two girls they are aged 10yrs and 9 yrs so i will like to have another baby in our family is it possible to conceive? its my forth month on ARV's it it possible for me to have another child? I'm aged 29 years and my partner is HIV Negetive.

Response from Dr. McGowan

HI,

One of the most important things about being on treatment is that you can live your life to it's fullest.

Yes, It is possible for you to have a healthy, HIV-uninfected child.

The most important thing is to work with your health care provider to get proper pre-conception care. This would include a discussion about the risks and benefits of taking anti-HIV medications during pregnancy. The benefits are that if you can maintain your HIV viral load at an undetectable level, especially at the time of delivery, the chances are extremely low that your baby would become infected. Artificial insemination (where your partner's semen can be used to help you conceive) would prevent him from contracting HIV as well. Certain medication (such as efavirenz) should be avoided during the early stages of pregnancy, so discussing your plans and modifying your treatment, getting proper vitamins and vaccinations before you get pregnant is the best approach.

Best, Joe

INH
Was Happy...but not anymore :(