Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Love making
Oct 21, 2012

My wife is HIV- and I'm HIV+, before we found out about my status, we were not using a condom and unfortunately after having discovered that I was +ve, we started to use condoms. I have been +ve for the past 4 years and we started using condoms for the past two years. What I need to find out, will she be infected if we could stop using condoms when making love. I'm currently on medication.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi There have been studies that show that someone living with HIV, on medications and adherent, which would lead to an undetectable viral load that this can reduce the risk of HIV transmission by up to 96% and of course a condom increases that reduction even more. There are magnetic couples, such as myself, I'm positive and my husband is negative who have made the choice to not use condoms. Your situation is a little different in that it is easier for men to transmit the virus to women. This is definitely a conversation to have with your wife and your healthcare provider so that you can make an educated decision. The other good news is Truvada has recently been approved for PreP, meaning that someone who is negative and involved in a "high" risk relationship can take this to help prevent transmission.

Be well and stay healthy, Shannon

Previous
Beginning treatment if I live overseas
Next
Just donated (as my consequence for my actions), please help with my question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.