HIV+ Taking the shingles vaccine

I am undectable viral load is under 20 copies and my CD 4 is 1,300. I am 58 1/2 and my doctor recommended me getting the shingles vaccine. He is certified HIV practioner and says this is a new recommendation. should I get it?

Hi and thanks for posting.

The shingles vaccine (Zostavax) isn't formally FDA-approved for use in HIV-infected persons. However, there is a growing opinion that it's safe, especially in persons like you, with undetectable HIV viral loads and normal CD4 cell counts. The AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) recently presented the results of a study on Zostavax in people with CD4 counts greater than 200 and found that the vaccine was safe to use and induced an appropriate immune response.

Hope that helps. BY

Stopping Truvada and Taking only Kaletra
HIV drug availability and mailing *readers, please share your experiences