Stopping Truvada and Taking only Kaletra

Hi, I hope you can help. I live in Spain, and although my spanish is good I do struggle sometimes with medical terms. I have been living with HIV fror 5 yrs now and only ever taken Kaletra/Truvada. Since being on meds, my vl has been undetectable and my cd4 count continues to go up from 140 to at present 694. My doctor asked me in February to stop the Truvada as I have been continuously progressing well with the medication. I have had a blood test since, and I had a phone call to say everything was ok, my next blood test is at the end of this month, I see the doctor in mid November. I have been on this mono treatment now since Feb, feel pretty good, but my question is this; Is it safe to only be taking the Kaletra? Can my vload start increasing?? I am concerned as there are major health cuts in Spain and maybe that the stoppage of Truvada is just another cost cutting exercise? Am I at risk? your advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards

Hi and thanks for posting.

There has been a long and detailed investigative thread on using boosted-PI monotherapy. In short, the data suggests that it's pretty darn good. Perhaps, in some studies, not as potent as if you were to start on the 2NRTI + PI regimen, but close. Further, when switching (like you) from the standard regimen to the boosted PI regimen alone, these risks seem to be further reduced.

It's been suggested that with this regimen that adherence is especially important, but overall, if you've been suppressed on the Kaletra regimen alone, I don't see huge downsides. Indeed, you might benefit from the decreased number of pills and medications, while still achieving the goal of viral suppression.

If I may ask, drop us a note from time to time to let us know how your treatment is working.

Be well, BY

switching back to previously used meds
HIV+ Taking the shingles vaccine