Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stopping Truvada and Taking only Kaletra
Oct 20, 2012

Hi, I hope you can help. I live in Spain, and although my spanish is good I do struggle sometimes with medical terms. I have been living with HIV fror 5 yrs now and only ever taken Kaletra/Truvada. Since being on meds, my vl has been undetectable and my cd4 count continues to go up from 140 to at present 694. My doctor asked me in February to stop the Truvada as I have been continuously progressing well with the medication. I have had a blood test since, and I had a phone call to say everything was ok, my next blood test is at the end of this month, I see the doctor in mid November. I have been on this mono treatment now since Feb, feel pretty good, but my question is this; Is it safe to only be taking the Kaletra? Can my vload start increasing?? I am concerned as there are major health cuts in Spain and maybe that the stoppage of Truvada is just another cost cutting exercise? Am I at risk? your advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

There has been a long and detailed investigative thread on using boosted-PI monotherapy. In short, the data suggests that it's pretty darn good. Perhaps, in some studies, not as potent as if you were to start on the 2NRTI + PI regimen, but close. Further, when switching (like you) from the standard regimen to the boosted PI regimen alone, these risks seem to be further reduced.

It's been suggested that with this regimen that adherence is especially important, but overall, if you've been suppressed on the Kaletra regimen alone, I don't see huge downsides. Indeed, you might benefit from the decreased number of pills and medications, while still achieving the goal of viral suppression.

If I may ask, drop us a note from time to time to let us know how your treatment is working.

Be well, BY

Previous
switching back to previously used meds
Next
HIV+ Taking the shingles vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.